Wednesday, May 4, 2011

...

I've been less than a "domestic diva" lately, so I decided to go all out today. I actually put make-up and jewelry on today ++++. Then went out and got baking supplies & cleaned most of my house. I got this great recipe from Budget Bytes one of my favorite food blogs in the world. The Lemon Spice Cake is actually only 155 Calories a slice! So it's diet friendly. I altered the recipe a bit so here it is, with a few mediocre photos I took with my mediocre IPhone camera...

1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 med lemon
1 Tbsp vegetable shortening, oil or butter
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup powdered sugar

That's the original recipe, I added 1 tsp of vanilla to both the cake mix and the frosting....

STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, cloves and lemon zest. Stir until everything is well combined.

STEP 2: Make two wells in the dry ingredients and place the cider vinegar in one and shortening,oil or butter in the other (melt the shortening or butter first). Pour the water over everything and stir just until everything is wet. There may still be lumps but that is okay, just make sure there are no large pockets of dry stuff on the bottom.

STEP 3: Pour the batter into a loaf pan or 8x8 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The batter will be more shallow in a square baking dish and will therefore cook faster than in a loaf pan. Keep an eye on the top, if it starts to crack, it is probably done. Let cool on a wire rack.

STEP 4: While the cake is cooling, make the lemon glaze. Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl and stir in the juice from the lemon. Depending on how much juice is in your lemon, you may not need all of it. Wait until the cake has cooled before pouring on the glaze or else the heat will cause the glaze to slide right off. 

                                                           Mixed Dry Ingredients
                          I made 3 wells, one for butter, one for apple cider vinegar, one for vanilla extract
                                                Added all the water and used a mixer, because I hate lumps
                                            Before I popped them into the oven....
                                                        After baking.... Yum!
                                                      Use the left over lemon to make your glaze...

                                                 whisk it to eliminate lumps...
  I topped mine with strawberries because I had them on hand, and a mix of lemon and strawberries makes my heart melt...


I made 3 loafs one for me, one for mom and dad and one for Aud. I'm sure they'll enjoy them and I can't wait to try mine. This recipe was pretty easy and quick, but I'm impatient and hate waiting for my cakes to cool. I also learned that I hate hate hate zesting 3+ lemons in a row my hands hurt : ( but I think it will be well worth it when I stuff this deliciousness in my mouth.


Way to go domestic MO!

<3

1 comment: