Friday, August 10, 2012

Cloth Diapering



Here is most of our newborn diaper stash. I say most because we are registered for diaper covers which will complete our newborn diaper stash and can also be used for quite some time after the newborn stage. 

So first why don't I address what's going on here in the first place. These are cloth diapers. Not your mom or your grandmas cloth diapers. Most cloth diapers are now designed to be comfortable for baby and convenient for parents. There are many different kinds of cloth diapers to choose from and I have a good chunk of them but there are others. For more information check out DiaperJungle.

Next you might ask, "why the hell would you use cloth diapers when there are disposable diapers available?" And for that question I have 3 answers and then 1 other reason that honestly doesn't matter to me as much as the others.

1. Cloth diapers are extraordinarily economical

If we did not have a baby registry and we bought all of the diapers/accessories ourselves we would end up spending approximately $500. An estimated cost of diapering a child from birth to 2 years old with disposables diapers is somewhere between $1500 - $2300, that does not include wipes or diaper creams ect.

2.  Cloth diapers do not contain harmful chemicals

Most cloth diapered babies never develop diaper rash! Plus here's an article about the lack of regulations and such on disposable diapers. Many of the absorbent gels they use in disposable diapers they wont even allow on feminine napkins (aka pads and tampons) if it's not allowed on my vagina I'm not okay with it being on baby girl's.

3. They're really stinkin cute

Okay not an amazing reason but I'm just being honest.

Oh and there's 4. The environmental impact of disposable diapers. I don't want to contribute to the world turning into the trash ball featured in Idiocracy.

Also this.


Because it's funny and it's one of the reasons why we decided to reproduce.

Onto the stuff!



My newborn stash will fit baby from 5lbs to between 16&18lbs depending on the diaper. But by that time she should fit into her Onesize diapers which I'll talk more about in another post. We have pocket diapers, all in one diapers, fitted diapers, prefolds and soon diaper covers.

In addition to cloth diapers we will also be using cloth wipes which in my experience work sooooo much better than disposable wipes.

Here are all of the diapers listed from least expensive to most. 

Prefold diapers will be used with a Snappi to hold them in place and then a cover ontop.The ones I picked up are GMD Clothe-eez and are made of unbleached cotton.

Here's what they look like before washing and after 6 washes. And then an example of a Snappi.





I wanted to have a few kissaluvs newborn fitted diapers because they're supposed to be super absorbent, trim and practically leak proof.



I love the low rise for the umbilical stump as well.

Next we have some size xs Fuzzibunz pocket diapers. These diapers resemble and work almost just like disposables. They do need to be stuffed with an insert and you can change which insert/how many inserts you use depending on your baby's needs. 




And finally some AIOs (all in one) which work exactly like a disposable diaper. There is no stuffing no folding. Some use velcro closures some use snaps. I wanted to try a few so I got a small variety.


Kissaluvs
Cotton fleece blend





Swaddlebees
Owl print with organic cotton inner



Thirsties 
These have 2 sizes to get maximum bang for your buck.





I would love to have an entire stash of AIOs because they are the easiest and they do have extra room to stuff if you absolutely need it. But AIOs are the most expensive diapering option. Having 24+ AIO for each stage would come close to defeating my reason #1.

And that is what baby girl's bum will be covered in from day 1. A lot of people think cloth diapering is crazy gross and weird. From my experience so far with friend's baby's it is none of those things. Cloth diapering is going to help keep money in the bank and my mind at ease. I have absolutely nothing against parents who choose disposable diapers for their babies, this is just my preference. If anyone is interested in cloth diapering their baby but has no idea where to start feel free to comment/message/call/text me! Not that I know everything about it because I don't. But I've been researching cloth since we decided to have a baby i know quite a bit but there's still a ton that I have to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment